Food Budget Plan Under Sixty Eight Dollars

After the first ever post I did for a weekly meal plan that included a shopping list with approximate costs, I failed to add the recipe links. Anything you see underlined will link you to my recipes right here on this blog. It is my hope that it simplifies your life.

Print the recipes out and save in a booklet. You may want to print out this actual menu plan post along with the first two I did and save that as well. Then when I have posted enough of them, you will be able to revert back to them time and time again.

Basically I look at 6 days worth of dinners and shopping all over on the 7th day. This particular menu plan is based on feeding 2 adults and 2 children.
This meal plan is different from the first one in that it provides 7 complete dinner ideas to take you from Sunday to Saturday with full meals.

The pricing is based on my local grocery store. You may spend less or more depending on where you shop and I urge you to use your coupons where applicable and take advantage of the store's discounts for the week. Feel free to adapt this basic plan to suit your family. This post is really to give you a solid base for menu planning. I have made all of the dinners listed here and have provided my cost for each dinner.
The highlights to this budget meal plan:
  1. Make a large enough batch of red sauce (spaghetti sauce or marinara) to be used in two dinners.
  2. Get the family pack of cube steak - have some for this week and then for next week if the family pack saves you money.
  3. Buy a small boneless pork loin and slice cutlets yourself if you want enough for left-overs. If not just pick up one or two packs of pre done pork cutlets that will suit you for one nights supper.
  4. Buy boneless chicken breasts - they are probably less expensive then the tenders strips and cut strips for the chicken tenders yourself.
  5. You will have enough chicken left over and some from the pork cutlet dinner so you could have a night of left-overs. We love left overs in our house and that's what I use my microwave for in some cases.
  6. The tuna cost was because I was able to get the tuna for $1.00 per can (Bumble Bee Brand).
Now onto the major components needed in the dishes:
  • Pork cutlets or a boneless pork loin roast (small)
  • Cube steaks
  • Chicken - boneless
  • London Broil
  • canned tuna fish
  • 1 - 5 lb. bag potatoes (for home made fries and baked potato)
  • 2 large onions (for making pasta sauce and for the tuna cellentani)
  • Broccoli
  • bag of salad mix
  • 1 box cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 package mushrooms
  • celery
  • Frozen Corn
  • Frozen chopped spinach - 10 oz.
  • 1 can beef broth
  • Teriyaki marinade
  • Mayonnaise
  • 1 large container Panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs
  • Pasta sauce from scratch: 1 large can crushed tomatoes and 1 large can tomato puree
  • 1-2 bags Mozzarella cheese
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 lb. butter
  • 8 oz. container ricotta cheese
  • 1 small container heavy cream
  • Pasta - jumbo shells and spaghetti 
  • 1 loaf of rustic bread or baguette
The total for making all of these dinners came out to: $67.42. That leaves $32.58 for other products such as cereal, extra bread, taxable grocery items. I know that number is still tight for those who are trying to shop with only $100.00 per week. All I can say is use this menu plan as a gauge and hopefully if you swap out one of the dinner choices here with something else, or if you happen to have left-overs make one night using up the left-overs, you still can feed your family well.

I've tried to be as accurate as possible, but if I left out a major component, please forgive me!



Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts