Sour Cream Blueberry Bread

A delicious dessert bread studded with fresh blueberries and chopped pecans is so easy to make and the overall flavor is out of this world good!
 
I love my collection of cookbooks from Williams-Sonoma and I found this amazing bread recipe in one of their cookbooks. I've made it several times and enjoy eating it by the slice or with some cream cheese slathered on top. It's a wonderfully easy recipe that does not require sifting and you know how much I love that!

Do you have the same problem I used to have when my kids were growing up - meaning you purchase a bunch of bananas and then the last two sit there uneaten? It happened to me many, many times and I never understood why the last two bananas were left to sit there until the skins became brown. Well this is the perfect way to use them up. I know many of you make a dessert bread but this one has a unique flavor profile. I think it's that addition of a bit of sour cream that takes this bread to another level in the taste department.

You probably have most all of the ingredients in your pantry already. I love making this when I can get my berries on sale too. If you don't have access to fresh berries for some reason, use frozen. This bakes in a standard bread pan and if you don't have one use a bundt pan or tube pan.
  • 2 medium ripe bananas
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 lrg. eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and extra for greasing the pan
  • 1 heaping cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
  1.  Preheat the oven to 350° and grease your pan or spray your muffin tins.
  2. Mash the ripe bananas with a fork or coarsely puree them in a food processor.
  3. In a bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nuts.
  4. In another bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, melted butter and 1 cup of the mashed banana puree.
  5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture.
  6. Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until combined. The batter may be slightly lumpy.
  7. Gently fold in the blueberries.
  8. Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The top should be firm to the touch and using a cake tester or wooden skewer see if the middle comes out clean.
  9. Let cook on a rack for 30 minutes before unmolding the loaf.


Just look at those plump blueberries and the studs of chopped pecans! This forms such a nice outer crust and the middle is just moist and ever so delicious.



Comments

  1. Making this tomorrow! Looks Delicious! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have salted butter. Can I use this and leave out 1/2 tsp. of salt. Thank you. Maria

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts